Home-Start HOST works in partnership with Tameside’s Early Attachment Service, Stockport’s infant-parent service & Health Visiting teams to deliver the Parent-Infant Mental Health project (PIMH). Our aim is to promote and support the importance of early relationships by educating and empowering families around parent-infant mental health and its benefits for future health, well-being & development.
Many factors can affect early relationships and how parents feel about their baby and themselves. Things can be stirred up from the past, and the future can be a worry, parents may also feel anxious about some of the thoughts and feelings they are having. Parenting a baby or young child can be difficult at the best of times and sometimes it can be hard to cope with feeding or sleeping patterns, or a baby who cries a lot.
All of this can impact the parent-infant relationship and anyone can experience these feelings.
We support families with PIMH across Tameside & Stockport who are experiencing mild to moderate mental health issues and are pregnant or have a least one child under the age of 2. Our Home-Visiting volunteers receive additional specialist training to prepare them to support families around PIMH.
Support is provided within the home and community to promote parental engagement, parent-infant relationships and positive well-being.
• Parents who would like support in building their relationship with their baby or young child
• Families living in Tameside or Stockport, who are pregnant and/or have at least one child under the age of two
• Families where parents are experiencing, or at risk of experiencing mild to moderate mental health issues
• Families who are experiencing other factors including but not exclusive to: adolescent parents, first born infants, low birth weight infants and parents with a diagnosis of mental illness, developmental disability or substance abuse
• Families that have consented to referral and are willing to engage with PIMH Home-Start support
How to refer for PIMH support
Professionals can refer with the family’s consent by completing a Referral Form, available to download here.
If you think you may be in need of PIMH support, you can self-refer by contacting the Home-Start HOST office:
Tel 0161 344 0669
If you would like to discuss if a family would benefit from the PIMH project please call us 0161 344 0669 or email firstname.lastname@example.org