Home-Start Oldham, Stockport & Tameside (HOST) is a local charity of trained volunteers and expert support helping families with young children through their challenging times. We are there for parents when they need us the most because childhood can’t wait.
The earliest years make the biggest impact
The earliest years make the biggest impact: Home-Start make sure those years count so that no child’s future is limited. Children who are raised in a stable, loving, family environment are more likely to have a positive and healthy future.
Parents supporting parents
Starting in the home, our approach is as individual as the people we’re helping. No judgement, it is just compassionate, confidential help and expert support.
Home-Start works because our volunteers are parents. They understand how hard it can be. They work alongside parents, in their own homes, to help them cope with the stresses and strains of life and make sure they have the skills, confidence and strength they need to nurture their children.
We offer two main branches of support:
Families struggling with post-natal depression, isolation, physical health problems, bereavement and many other issues receive the support of a volunteer who will spend around two hours a week in a family’s home supporting them in the ways they need.
We also support families in groups, hold day trips and Christmas parties and help access local services, as well as lots of other support.
We offer infant feeding peer support to every breastfeeding mum in Tameside and Oldham.
We will support Mums for as long as they feel they need it, from establishing breastfeeding with a new baby to any questions they may have at any point on their breastfeeding journey.
Vision, Mission & Values
- Every parent has the support they need to give their children the best possible start in life
- To support parents as they grow in confidence, strengthen their relationship with their children and widen their links with the local community
- We offer families choice
- We work in partnership – with each other, with families and with other agencies
- We work in a spirit of openness, encouragement and enjoyment
- We are flexible and responsive to the needs of families
Additional family support services
HOST offers a wide range of additional services which support families with children in the early years.
• Parent Infant Mental Health Supporting early relationships for families with an under 2, and those expecting a baby.
• Dad Matters – supporting fathers and raising awareness of the importance of fathers in the perinatal period
• Home-Talk/LENA – speech & language programme from ages newborn to age three
• Choose the Right Care – support for families with children with health concerns that aims to reduce hospital attendance
• Community Genetics – Support for families with children affected by genetic disorders
• Early Help – support for families with complex needs
• Early Education – support to access early education places for vulnerable two year olds
You can find out more by visiting our Projects page.